Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP)
The Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) at Maria College, in partnership with the New York State Education Department, is designed to enroll first-time; full-time college students who are financially and academically challenged and might not otherwise be accepted into a college degree program. This unique program is carefully designed to assist eligible and accepted HEOP participants succeed at Maria College. Typically, accepted HEOP student are individuals from families with low incomes and possess the desire and aptitude for a successful college experience, but have not yet acquired the verbal, mathematical, and other cognitive skills required.
Full-time tuition and fees, books and other expenses will be paid to first time, full-time students meeting the HEOP eligibility requirements for both academic and financial. In addition, other services to HEOP participants will include counseling, tutoring, a peer network and other resources to achieve academic and personal success at Maria College.
Am I eligible?
1. New York State Eligibility Criteria:
- New York State resident (for one year preceding your term of entry into HEOP).
- Possess a high school diploma or New York State approved equivalency diploma or its equivalent.
- Be academically disadvantaged (who would otherwise not be accepted as a matriculated student under Maria College’s normal admission standards in a General Studies degree program).
- Have the potential and motivation for successful completion of college.
- Be financially disadvantaged (see financial eligibility requirements).
2. Financial Eligibility Requirements:
For students first entering college between July 1, 2013 and June 30, 2014 the following criteria apply. For the purpose of this subdivision, the number of members of a household shall be determined by ascertaining the number of individuals living in the student’s residence who are economically dependent on the income.
|Number of Members in Household
(Including head of household)
|2014-15 Opportunity Program Guidelines|
|for each additional person, add||+ $7,511|
Applicants automatically meet the Financial eligibility requirements if:
- Their family receives public assistance.
- They are living with foster parents who provide no support for college, and no money is provided by the natural parents.
- They are wards of the state or county.
- To be eligible for the standard HEOP financial aid package, all applicants must complete the FAFSA and apply for the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP).
3. Academic Eligibility Requirements:
To be academically eligible, students must submit the following documents and either be inadmissible to college through regular admission standards or be considered in the lower academic range of admissible students. Required documents include:
- High School Transcripts
- Letter of Recommendation
- SAT or ACT, if they were taken.
What Are the HEOP Program Benefits?
- Financial: The financial aid package includes full-time student tuition, fees, and books. This will allow you to focus on achieving academic excellence and not worrying about the financial burden of attending college.
- Personal Mentoring and Coaching: An experienced group of caring faculty and staff will build a support plan to meet your academic and personal needs to assist you in the transition to successful college student. Services will include tutoring and counseling for personal, academic and career development.
- Learning resources: A variety of tools and services will be provided to help you build skills in identified areas of need that might otherwise block you from achieving academic and personal success
What Happens When Accepted?
Remedial and Developmental Courses:
- Reading | Vocabulary
- Written Communication
- Verbal Communication
- Other Areas tailored to fit your unique needs
- Peer Tutoring
- Career Services
To apply or inquire about the HEOP program please contact us:Maria College Office of Admission 700 New Scotland Avenue Albany, NY 12208 Telephone: 518.861.2517 Email: email@example.com