Build Your Professional Network
Building- and maintaining- a strong professional network is a crucial factor to finding success in today’s competitive job market. Associating with the right people in your professional and personal life could open doors to limitless opportunities.
You would be surprised at how strong your network base already is, regardless of your career status.
Tips to get started:
- Identify your goal and consider how developing a professional network could help you to reach your goals.
- Identify and document contact information of those in your network that you already know.
- Friends, family, employers, classmates, and professors are all important to consider.
- Provide contact information for each individual in an organized word document.
- Conduct outreach and think about who this contact ring could introduce you to.
- Expand your professional network.
- Get involved on campus. Joining clubs, organizations, or even fitness courses can introduce you to new ideas and individuals that you might not have otherwise known. Create study groups and network with those that you spend much of your time with already.
- Gain relevant experience through service learning opportunities, internships, field work, and through on or off campus employment.
- Use social networking websites like LinkedIn to establish a professional online presence.
- Attend professionally-relevant events hosted on campus or in the Capital District.
- Maintain your professional network by remaining in contact with everybody in your circle.