Financial Aid Programs

Federal Pell Grant Program

Pell Grants are awarded usually only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or a professional degree. The maximum Pell Grant award for the 2015-16 award year (July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016) is $5,775. The maximum may change each award year and depends on program funding. The amount a student is awarded will depend not only on financial need, but also on the costs to attend school, status as a full-time or part-time student and if a student plans to attend school for a full academic year or less. A student may receive a Pell Grant for a maximum of six years of study.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) program is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need. Award amounts are between $100 and $4,000 a year, depending on financial need and available funds.

Federal Work-Study Program

Federal Work-Study (FWS) provides part-time jobs for undergraduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the recipient’s course of study. Students are paid an hourly rate no less than the current federal minimum wage. Employment is available in various campus departments or in a community service agency. Student working hours will depend on the need for services.

Federal Aid to Native Americans

An applicant must be a member of a Native American tribe within New York State. Applications can be obtained from the Native American Education Unit, NYS Department of Education, Albany, NY 12230.

NYS Tuition Assistance Program

The New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) helps eligible New York State residents pay tuition at approved schools in New York State. Depending on the academic year in which study begins, an annual TAP award can be up to $5,000. The award range is dependent upon NYS taxable income from the previous year. For associate degree students, there is a limit of six (6) payments. For bachelor’s degree students, there is a limit of eight (8) payments. Associate degree students may apply using the TAP Code 2093. Bachelor’s degree students may apply using the TAP Code 6093. You must be registered full-time (12 or more credit hours) to be eligible for a NYS TAP grant.

NYS Aid for Part-Time Study

New York State aid to part-time students is available to NYS residents registered for three but fewer than 12 credit hours a semester. Eligibility is dependent on a student’s NYS net taxable income and the status of the NYS budget. An APTS award cannot exceed tuition charges. Applications are available at the Financial Aid Office and online.

NYS Volunteer Recruitment Service Scholarship

New York State offers scholarships to volunteer fire and volunteer ambulance companies to use as a recruitment and retention incentive for new members. Students should request the application from their volunteer company official.

NYS Memorial Scholarships

NYS Memorial Scholarships provide financial aid to children, spouses and financial dependents of deceased firefighters, volunteer firefighters, police officers, peace officers and emergency medical service workers who have died as the result of injuries sustained in the line of duty in service to the state of New York. Students must establish eligibility by submitting a Memorial Scholarship Supplement available at

NYS Veterans Tuition Awards

Veterans Tuition Awards (VTA) provide up to $1,000 per semester for full-time study or $500 per semester for part-time study to eligible veterans matriculated at an undergraduate or graduate degree-granting institution or in an approved vocational training program in New York State.

NYS Children of Deceased or Disabled Veterans

Regents awards to children of deceased or disabled veterans are independent of family income or tuition charge, and are in addition to other grants or awards. Information regarding eligibility may be obtained from the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation

Federal Perkins Loan

The Perkins Loan is a low-interest (5%) loan made with government funds in which the school is the lender, and which must be repaid to the school. Students may borrow up to $5,500 a year for undergraduate study, based on available funds. Under certain circumstances, however, these loans may be cancelled over a five-year period, e.g., by working full time as a nurse, or as a teacher in low income area schools, or as a law enforcement or corrections officer. Students are required to complete their promissory note and entrance counseling electronically at