Practical Nurse (LPN Training)
- PNC program is a 16 month evening and weekend LPN program*. Begin the certificate program this month (spring '17 semester) and graduate next year!
- All courses earn college credit.
- Seamless transition option to Maria A.A.S. Nursing program. Practical nurses (PNs) are important members of the healthcare team and can be found anywhere healthcare is delivered - in hospitals, nursing homes and other exciting healthcare settings.
*Note: these are nursing classes only. A transcript review will determine if you need other prerequisites in addition to the nursing classes, which could result in two additional terms of study.
FUTURE is bright for LPNs: accepting applications! APPLY NOW: Job Market is Bright for LPNs
The Practical Nurse Certificate (PNC), a program within the Maria College Department of Nursing, is a 48-credit certificate program. Upon successful completion of the required coursework, students are eligible to sit for the New York State National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN). Passing the licensure exam will make the graduate eligible for LPN positions in the health field.
The PNC program is offered in two tracks:
Track One allows a student to complete the Certificate on a part-time basis during the weekends in 47 credits. Of those, 22 to 25 will transfer to the ADN Program at Maria College (15 Nursing and 9-12 Liberal Arts). This track is designed for the student whose interest is to begin working as an LPN after completing the Certificate.
Track Two allows a student to complete the Certificate on a part-time basis during the weekends in 48 credits. Of those, 32 will transfer to the ADN Program at Maria College (15 Nursing and 17 Liberal Arts).
- High School graduate or GED with a minimum GPA: 80 (high school graduates); 2.0 GPA (transfer students)
- Physical examination, first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation certification (CPR) are required prior to enrolling in the required PN clinical courses.
- Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS V): The TEAS V is a multiple-choice assessment of basic academic knowledge in reading, mathematics, science and English and language usage. Applicants will be admitted on the basis of meeting the minimum requirements for entry and their TEAS test scores. Applicants scoring below the desired TEAS test score may consider enrolling as a Maria College General Studies Student (GSN). Upon completion of remedial course work, the student may retest. Admissions decisions will be based on space availability. For more information including registering for the exam, please visit the Testing Requirement page.
- Obtain a minimum grade of “C” in all courses required in the PNC Program. (A grade of “C-” is not adequate to meet the minimum requirement of “C”). The student must pass both theoretical and clinical components of a nursing course, or the course must be repeated in its entirety.
- Each state and/or profession has procedures for certification and licensure including, among others, consideration of felony convictions, pending criminal charges and professional misconduct. As a result, completion of a program does not guarantee licensure or certification.
FORMER MARIA PNC ENROLLEES: RE-ADMISSION INFORMATION
Transition to course, Nur 240, must be within two years of graduating from the PNC Program. If out of the nursing program for more than two years, the LPN will need to take the PN-RN Transition Course. Those who wish to re-enter the program after two years must start with PNC 101.
MARIA NURSING EDUCATION OPTIONS
This program prepares graduates for RN licensure. Up to 32 PNC nursing credits can be transferred to the Maria ADN program. Click here for more information on AAS Nursing Program.
BSN Degree Completion Program
The Maria College Bachelor of Science is Nursing (BSN) degree completion program is designed for graduates of the accredited associate degree or diploma program in nursing who also hold an unrestricted RN license, to complete the last two years of a four year bachelor's degree in nursing. Click here for more information on our BSN Degree Completion Program
Click here for Gainful Employment Data.